Sunday, January 29, 2012

Foodbuzz 24x24: A Pie Party!

I was selected by Foodbuzz to participate in the January's 24x24. That means 24 bloggers (me included) were chosen to have dinner or a social gathering revolving around food. The chosen 24 will blog their meals or creations within the next 24 hours. This is documentation of my party- A Pie Party to be exact!

For the last few weeks I've wanted to have a pie party. I blabbered on about it at the turn of the new year to my family. They listened, nodded in agreement and probably thought I was nutso, but to me it sounded like great fun. Chicken pot pie for dinner and sweet, creamy, dreamy pies for dessert. What's not to like about that?! On Saturday, my dream of a pie party came true. Friends and family came to join us for pie. A few of the guests even came bearing their own pie creations. Then after stuffing our pie holes, we played board games, hung out and watched television.

For dinner I made 4 chicken pot pies and my mom put together a big green salad. My aunt and uncle brought a Spinach and Mushroom Quiche and my friend Maranda brought a Barbecue Pork Shepherd's Pie.

For dessert I made a Pumpkin Pie using homemade pumpkin puree, a Key Lime Pie, a Banana Cream Pie, A Chocolate Macaroon Pie and mini Cherry Cream Cheese Pies with two different crusts. My brother bought a Reese's Peanut Butter Pie and Maranda made an Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust. All were delicious but my favorites were the banana cream and the key lime pies. They were also the first ones to go.

Autumn even got in on the fun. I made sweetened whipped cream to top a couple of the pies and threw the disposable piping bags in the trash when I was done. When I wasn't looking Autumn stuck her snoot in the garbage and started licking the cream off the bags! My mom caught her in the act so I snapped a few pictures of her. She looks quite pleased with herself :-)

So that wraps up my pie party. I hope I've inspired you to invite some friends over and have a pie party of your own. I've linked to a few of the recipes in this post and have shared my very easy recipe for chicken pot pie. Over the next few days I'll share the recipes for the other dessert pies. Enjoy!

Easy Chicken Pot Pie from Monica h

  • 1 pkg. (2 crusts) Pillsbury Roll Out Refrigerated Pie Crust
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
  • 1 bag frozen vegetables (I used peas, corn, carrots and green beans)

Roll out thawed crust into pie dish. Place half of your chicken in bottom of dish, top with half your veggies and 1 can cream soup. Layer remaining ingredients. Top with additional pie crust (you can do fancy lattice work or simply lay rolled out dough over pie) and crimp the edges to seal in filling. Be sure to make vent holes in your crust if you roll out your top crust. Brush with melted butter or egg wash (optional). Bake on cookie sheet in a preheated 425 degree oven for 60-75 mins.

18 comments:

ramya said...

A pie party....what fun!I wish I was your neighbor, Monica.....to get a share of your leftovers!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a lot of pie. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle that much pie, haha xD But it does sound like you had great fun, and board games are always awesome! I havn't played LIFE or CLUE in years!!!

Marilee said...

What? Pillsbury pie crust? I love to bake, pies especially. My go to pie crust is the Krusteaz mix. Tastes just like homemade, very flakey, and can be bought at Smart and Final.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a fun idea for a dinner party! Thanks for the inspiration...and for the chicken pot pie recipe!

Unknown said...

I positively LOVE pie and think this idea for a dinner party is genius -- how fun :)

Blessings!
Gail

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Wow that looks great, you baked so many pies - what a lot of work! I would have definitely gone for the Key Lime first too! I hope one day a pie party is in my future too!

Haley said...

What a cool idea! So many different pies to try-savory and sweet!

Laura Joy said...

I throw a pie party every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas for our circle of friends. I love to put together an amazing dessert table, and my friends bring the appetizers and drinks. So much fun!

Avril said...

What delicious fun! :-)

cybil said...

what a lovely idea!! I had pies/quiches already often for guests - and it's always great and uncomplicated and yummy!
If you're interested in French baking, perhaps you're interested in my new post about a French bakery chain. We love to go there and they have marvelous quiche as well.
Cheers, enjoy your day
Sibylle

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

So I would've loved to been at that party!

Ellen said...

Love the idea of a pie party. Would love to partake of one! I love that Autumn got into the act too. Her little tongue looks so cute. I can hear her thinking yum yum.

Christy said...

Love the idea of a pie party! So many choices and options! And easy if you want to have guests particpate when they offer to bring somthing. Yum!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

I love this idea! There are so many pie recipes, sweet and savory, that I want to try and this is the perfect way.

Anonymous said...

I use a similar pot pie recipe but I use 2 cans of Veg-all drained instead of frozen and Campbell's cream of chicken with herbs. Gives great flavor. Love your recipes!

Neva Modzelewski said...

Looking at these mouthwatering pies, I can say that you’re a dessert expert, Monicha. No wonder Foodbuzz has invited you to join their social gathering about food! Being a connoisseur for desserts, I’m pretty sure that you can succeed in a catering business. Why don’t you try it?

Unknown said...

I've been throwing huge pie parties for the last 4 years -- I rent a pavilion in the park in October and invite everyone I know to come out and eat some pie. It's always a huge hit -- moreso than any other themed parties I've ever had.

People thought I was crazy too until they came out and saw all of the pies. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this simple chicken pot pie recipe! Every fall I get a craving for it & every year I try to find the perfect recipe. This recipe isn't fussy (which I love) & has the perfect consistency. The refrigerated pie crust is the key! I've tried everything from phyllo dough to biscuits but it just wasn't right. Even the frozen pie crusts were just too thick. The crust on top & bottom turned out perfectly! I have deleted all of my other recipes for chicken pot pie as I don't need them now:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails