Friday, April 20, 2012

An All Occasion Cake & A Winner



Last month for The Cake Slice Bakers we made individual warm chocolate cakes and they were delicious. You might be saying to yourself, "I don't remember seeing individual warm chocolate cakes. Where are they?" And rightfully so. I never blogged them because they looked like wrinkled old men and I didn't like any of the pictures. They didn't look good but they sure were tasty. Who knew "wrinkled old men" cakes could be so good? haha! You can click over to Becca's blog, Cookie Jar Treats, for the recipe if you're interested. I'm also linking to her blog because she is the lucky winner of Baking Basics & Beyond. Congrats Becca- email me with your address!


This month we baked a Cinnamon Swirl Buttermilk Pound Cake Bundt. Yes, that's a mouthful but there's not one part of that title that I don't like. This cake has winner written all over it and it was a nice addition to our Easter dinner. I made the cake the day before we needed it and when it came down to serving it Sunday evening I was too full to eat dessert. So I didn't get a slice until the following day and I have to tell you- even on day three, this cake was not the least bit dry! I tend to shy away from pound cakes because they can be too dense and heavy and sometimes dry, but this one has changed my mind.



I only had one slice of this cake and when I was done, I was wishing I had another. It was so light and fluffy with just the faintest taste of orange zest speckled through the cake. The star of the cake was the cinnamon swirl running throughout the cake, which made it sweet and spicy. Mr. H said it reminded him a lot of a breakfast coffee cake because it was so lightly sweetened. He's right, this cake would be nice at breakfast or for dessert any time of year.



On a side note, this is what Hayden gets to go while Mommy takes pictures of food. (He's going to have so many questions someday.) He loves sitting in his highchair and "playing drums" on the arm rests or looking at the trees through the kitchen windows. On this particular day he was enjoying a snack. He is quite the curious eater and wants to try everything I eat. He follows my fork and watches me pick my food up and put it in my mouth. Just the other day at dinner while he was sitting on my lap, he reached out for my fork and put it in his mouth. I was eating gnocchi with tomato cream sauce and he loved it. :-)



Cinnamon Swirl Buttermilk Pound Cake from The Cake Book
Printer Friendly Version

Cinnamon Streusel Swirl:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Buttermilk Pound Cake:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cake flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (1/4 ground teaspoon nutmeg may be substituted)
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
  • 1 cup buttermilk
Garnish:
  • powdered sugar for dusting
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the inside of a 10-inch Bundt pan. Dust the pan with flour and shake out the excess.

For the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt, breaking up any large lumps of brown sugar. Add the melted butter and stir until blended and crumbly.

For the Pound Cake: Sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom (or nutmeg) into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine, and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at a medium speed until very creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar and beat at medium-high speed until well blended and light, about 4 minutes. At medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the vanilla extract and orange zest. At low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk in two additions and mixing just until well combined.

Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Sprinkle the streusel mixture evenly over the batter. Scrape the remaining batter on top and smooth it into an even layer.

Bake the cake for 65 to 75 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

Invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely.

Dust the cake lightly with powdered sugar right before serving.

23 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

Such a pretty cake and all of the flavors sound absolutely perfect together. Hayden is such a cutie - its nice that he is interested in food - sounds like he will be a good eater!

Paloma said...

Your cake looks so perfect! Like everything you make! I enjoy your blog probably too much! Love the pictures of your sweet, adorable boy too!

Stacie said...

Looks like yours turned out great! I really enjoyed this cake.

Cucina49 said...

Yours looks so pretty, especially with the powdered sugar dusting! Wish I'd taken that step.

Unknown said...

Your cake turned out so lovely! And the brown sugar-cinnamon middle looks great. I haven't had the time to post my cake yet, but I will by the end of the day. And you're right, this cake was so moist and delicious. I had my cake out all week and only did it start to get the tiniest bit stale around the corners. This cake is definitely a keeper.

P.S. Hayden is so adorable, and I bet he will have an amazing palate for food when he gets older if he's liking the taste of gnochi and tomato cream sauce :)

Julie said...

The little guy is getting so big and handsome :) I don't think he'll have too many questions as long as you keep feeding him yummy stuff like this :)

chrissiwithab said...

Your cake looks fab but your baby steals the show.

Keeley said...

This cake looks amazing! Hayden is adorable (as usual!). I can't wait to cook with my little baby in the kitchen!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That young man of yours is better looking each time I see him.Oh,and the cake sounds yummy as well.

Denise said...

The cake sound delish, and your little man is getting more handsome everytime I check out your blog ! Have a wonderful weekend ! Denise

Katie said...

Your cake turned out beautifully. I agree it stayed lovely and moist for ages. Hayden must be used to all your photos now :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Your cake is just perfect :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Looks like Hayden will be as adventurous as mom and dad in the food department!

Zsofi Anna said...

The cake is so beautiful! But it's your gorgeous son who really wowed me--look at those eyes! What a sweetheart.

Brenda Z. said...

I made this cake today and followed your recipe exactly. I checked it after 65 minutes and it was perfectly done. Absolutely fantastic cake! I can't wait until it's time for another piece! Thanks for posting :)

Paloma said...

Ok... it's me again... just to say "I am officially addicted to your blog!" wow! I love it sooo much! You are sooo talented! I love the pictures and all the recipes you share! Your writing and ... just everything! Thanks for sharing so much sweetness with all of us! Hayden is so adorable! :)

Emily said...

Simply elegant!

Hayden's adorable!

Coleens Recipes said...

I don't know how you do it, your photos are SO perfect, very professional!! I am looking forward to your posts where Hayden is cooking "with" you.

Susy said...

YummY!! looks fantastic!!
Love the pictures too! I wish I had a good camera !! but its good its within my plans!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I made this cake a few days ago...delicious, the flavors all blend so nicely together. The texture of the cake is wonderful. I highly recommend this recipe! Thank you for sharing. Candy

Unknown said...

Your cake is just stunning! And so is that little guy! I should try to put Baby N in his high chair while I bake. Good idea!!

Anonymous said...

Should I use room temperature eggs and buttermilk because the recipe calls for butter softened?

Monica H said...

That would be a good idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails