Friday, May 25, 2012

Milk's New Favorite Cookie!



I'm not usually one to follow food trends. I like to bake and eat what I want, when I want, and not just because "everyone else is doing it". Take these Oreo stuffed chocolate cookies for example. I remember seeing them A LOT last year but they didn't really appeal to me. But a few weeks ago, things changed when I was wanting to bake something using Oreos and Mr. H was wanting plain chocolate chip cookies. Insert this insane cookie and both our cravings were met.



Hayden at 6 months- He's changed so much already!
I googled and saw several different recipes for the Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookie and almost all of them linked back or credited Jenny of Picky Palate with this creation, so that's the recipe I went with. When I say these cookies are insane, I mean it. Let me prove it to you. Firstly, they are ginormous. Everyone kept saying they were "huge" and "really large" but what exactly does that mean? How "huge" can a cookie be?   Autumn let me borrow her tennis ball so I demonstrate the size of these cookies. Crazy, right? 


Jenny used Double Stuf Oreos, but I like the Reduced Fat Version because they have slightly less filling and aren't as greasy feeling on the tongue, but that's just personal preference. It's obviously not about calorie control when you're stuffing cookies into cookies. Mr. H likes the chocolate stuffed ones so I used those as well. You can use whatever type of Oreo you want here, even the store brand...I won't tell. 


Another reason these cookies are insane, is because each cookie is the equivalent of three cookies on one. You take a scoop of cookie dough, put it on top of the Oreo, you take another and put it on the bottom and you make an Oreo sandwich. Then you carefully squish it all together, wrapping the dough around the Oreo. You want to be careful not to break the Oreo when you do this. The Oreos with more filling tend to slide around a bit and are more prone to breaking. You can also refrigerate or freeze the Oreos to prevent breakage if you want, but it's not ultimately necessary. They will still taste the same. I think you could easily bake these in a muffin tin instead of a cookie sheet if you wanted and achieve a similar result if you're opposed to cookie making (ahem, Ingrid)

These cookies are ridiculously rich and pair well with a tall glass of icy milk. And one of them goes a long way. We cut ours in half and ate them that way, since they were easier for dunking and so we could choose which filling we wanted. These are fun and different and would make any Oreo cookie lover very happy. 

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies from Picky Palate

Printer Friendly Version 

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
  • 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 oz bag chocolate chips
  • 1 package Oreo Cookies (not all will be used)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  
In a stand or electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined.  Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined.  
Using a cookie scoop take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie.  Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie.  
Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo Cookie is enclosed with dough.  
Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking.  Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. 
Makes approximately 20-24 very large cookies





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Og my, it's really dangerous to follow your blog, I'm heading for the grocery now! great great cookies!

Katie said...

Wow that is one super thick and decedant looking cookie. Bet Mr H was very happy with the results!

cybil said...

These cookies look fabulous! Thanks for sharing!! Sibylle

Mary Beth said...

I often make mine in a bar pan and slice into squares, the only thing I have found is you need to make a batch and a half of cookie dough. Delicious!

Unknown said...

I've seen these cookies all over, and they look very delicious! But I never knew they were half the size of a tennis ball! My goodness.

Patti@Bakeify.com said...

So awesome. I saw these on Picky Palate too and have them on my list to make. they look so goooood!!! Love the comparison to the tennis ball!

Anonymous said...

C'est certainement délicieux et l'idée est amusante.
J'adore ton blog.

Foodiewife said...

I'm with you on food fads. I climb on board, late, as I take my time. With that said, I've seen these a lot, too, and thought they were over-the-top. My men would love them, as I recently bought Oreos (on a whim) and they gobbled them right up. I get a toothache, just looking at them, but if you say they are that good...I believe it!

C said...

hayden is such a handsome boy!

White Toast with Butter said...

Monica - did you find that they chocolate chip cookie got really hard after a day? I did the Oreo stuffed brownie cups - and they were hard as a rock a day or two later (I did them for a Christmas tray). The day of or early the next day - they were find - by the second day - pucks. Just curious - at life expectancy you are experiencing on these. My next project is the coveted Levain chocolate chip cookie (TO DIE FOR)...your cookies look incredible - and remain me of the size of the Levain cookie.

Monica H said...

Andrew's Mom- if I remember correctly, they lasted about 3-4 days then were drying out, but they never turned into hockey pucks. If you're worried about it you could always underbake them by a minute or so. If you make them, I hope you like them!

Monica

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

Haha! We think alike Monica! I have avoided these cookies just because I didn't want to jump on another food fad! But your pictures and description are sure drool worthy and have me changing my mind!

Anonymous said...

Monica, My cookie scoop only yields about 2 tsp size and it gave me the idea to maybe use the mini oreos and make a much smaller cookie? Do you think I would have to adjust the ingredients or the cooking time much? Thanks!- Les' More

Paloma said...

These look really great but I will have to pass for now! LOL! I think it will be great to make them when having people over just to "shock them" with the surprise inside of them but ... just for a "daily treat" I think it's too much, right? Well... at least for me... trying to watch my calorie intake... ;)

They look AMAZING though!

Allie said...

Okay, I also have seen these everywhere! but have hesitated to try them... I do trust your taste in good food though so I may have to put these on my "must make" list. By the way, Hayden is just looking as cute as ever! I can't believe how big he is getting. I love the picture of him wearing that shirt with Jack's name on it :) Such a handsome baby boy!

Paloma said...

How is everything going Monica? We miss you! :)

Paloma.

Anonymous said...

I bought some mini oreos yesterday and want to try a smaller stuffed cookie for father's day :-) ~T~

Unknown said...

Wow. These are definitely monstrous cookies! I really would love to try them though. I haven't jumped on that craze yet...

Related Posts with Thumbnails