Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lemons, Limes and Oranges. Oh My!



I made these a few weeks ago and I forgot to share them. Forgive me. I got wrapped up in Hayden's birthday extravaganza that they got lost in the shuffle. I realize Fall is officially upon us but when you have a dessert with this much citrus zest, you just have to share them. Am I right? Besides you have all season long to bake with apples, pumpkins and comforting spices, so today it's all about lemons, limes and oranges. Hooray!


I got this recipe from my friend Memoria of Mangio da Sola. She made these over two years ago and they've been in the back of my mind ever since (Hi Memoria! We miss you!)I love key lime pie and could eat a whole pie by myself, as embarrassing as that is to admit. While I was pregnant with Hayden, I craved it all the time so I was pleased to discover that these bars were very similar. But these are a little different because they have a touch of cream cheese in them that makes these a bit more like cheesecake. 

Busted! Someone discovered toilet paper roll!
Part key lime pie, part cheesecake bar, all goodness. They were creamy, tart, tangy and loaded with flavorful citrus zest atop a buttery golden crust. I misread the directions and baked them in a 9x13-inch pan instead of a square dish so mine were thinner than expected but still great. If you want a thicker, taller bar to sink your teeth into just use a smaller pan. Either way, they're sure to satisfy. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us Memoria. I hope you're enjoying Italy! 




Triple Citrus Bars adapted from Mangio da Sola via Cook's Illustrated

Printer Friendly Version


Crust:

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar 
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
pinch of salt


Filling:
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp grated lime zest 
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
1 14-oz can of condensed milk
1 egg yolk, room temperature
6 Tbsp lime juice 
2 Tbsp lemon juice 
2 Tbsp orange juice 


Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8x8-inch pan (for thicker bars) or a 9x13-inch pan (for thinner bars) and set aside. 

To make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and salt. Drizzle butter over crumbs and stir until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven.

To make the filling: While the crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese with the lemon, orange and limes zests with a rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Slowly add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add juices and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly).

To assemble and bake: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.

Cut into squares and serve chilled. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. 

18 comments:

~mel said...

I'm filing this one away for a rainy day ~ I hope it rains soon:) LOVE the busted picture!

Memória said...

I'm crying over here!!! I didn't expect to see my name mentioned or anything. I miss you, too! And that picture of Hayden is killing me!!

I remember those bars; they are good! I wish I could make them here, but access to certain ingredients (especially the non-Italian variety) in this city is limited.

I'm glad you enjoyed them! *baci!* *besos*

thea said...

Those look divine ..

Laura said...

Oh WOW do those look good!

Sara said...

YUM, I totally love this idea...lemon bars are amazing, sounds fantastic with triple citrus! (And what a cute baby!)

Jan said...

Seeing that mischievous picture of Hayden is too funny. What came to my mind is now the fun begins! Lol. Yummy cookies and I'm trying to hold on to summer too!

TDJ said...

oooo! this looks so yummy, I will have to try

Kimberly_C said...

Citrus is my "thing," and so is cheesecake. And I can't stop staring at these. I know what I'm making tonight.:-)

Unknown said...

These look so pretty. For some reason when I saw these bars I thought "Florida" maybe it's all the citrus or maybe it's because it kind of looks like key lime pie. Either way, these bars look very yummy :)

nurdan said...


Hello, what can I use instead of condensed milk as I can't find it in every market in Turkey. Thanks

Avril said...

Such fun pic's of Hayden and his discovery of TP!

YUM to those bars too!!!

trump said...

I have not had a Borden product in a very long time! Richard

Denise said...

Did you know you can make your own sweetened condensed milk ? If you want the recipe, email me. dcottrell52@gmail.com

Rania said...

Seems Super delicious !!! Thanks for that recipe.. By the Way I looove your cover photo with the baby...

Anonymous said...

First off, your son is all sorts of adorable! :D And, these bars are so delicious. I love the combination of the three types of citrus with the condensed milk. Mmmm condensed milk. I could eat this stuff out of the can with a spoon!

Hello said...

Your lemon, lime and orange slices look lush and your son is adorable :-). Thanks for sharing the recipe :-) x

Unknown said...

Yum!! These elusive bars do look tasty! I wish I had gotten to try one. I guess I'll just have to make them myself. LOL!

nfaband said...

These triple citrus bars are in my oven as I type, hope they turn out delicious, the filling is divine even unbaked. I am baking for a trivia tournament tomorrow night, they will love these bars I'm sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails