Friday, October 5, 2012

Carrot Cake Ice Pops, My Way



I received a cookbook for review a few weeks ago for boozy cocktails in Popsicle form, called Poptails by Erin Nichols. It's a super cute book with a variety of unique popsicles. There were several that jumped out at me, but ultimately I went for Carrot Cake Pops made with dark rum. I was super excited to try them, but they were so potent that they were hardly edible. I really wanted to like them, but with every bite, it was like I was sticking my nose into the bottle of Bacardi and inhaling. Sadly, they all wound up in a slurry down the drain. Not to say that this book wasn't a winner, this just wasn't the recipe for me. I plan on trying out the Coquito (coconut) pops really soon. If cocktails are your thing, check out this book!

Hayden's new trick!
The problem with this (besides wasting an entire cup of dark rum!) was that I still wanted the flavors of spicy carrot cake but in popsicle form. And there needed to be cream cheese, so I came up with my own recipe and it was a success! I started out by whipping up some cream cheese, sweetening it with brown sugar and vanilla and thinned it out slightly with a little half n half. You could also use a little heavy cream and milk if you'd like. I wanted it tangy without being too sweet like frosting. Then came the carrot layer. It had just the right amount of sweetness and was spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. And it tasted like fresh carrots- that Bolthouse Farms juice is delicious stuff!

Into the freezer my concoction went and a few hours later emerged frozen popsicles. Not only were they a gorgeous and vibrant ORANGE, but they were gewd! The cream cheese layer is barely sweet and tangy, and smooth, while the juice layer is spicy and icy. I liked to eat them from the side, taking just a bit of the cream cheese with every juicy bite or the carrot layer. I intended to add a few toasted and chopped pecans to some of them, but I got so excited I just plain forgot. Adding some crushed pineapple or coconut wouldn't be a bad idea either. And while it's no longer Summer, eating carrot cake- in any form- is always in season. 


Carrot Cake Popsicles from Monica h

Printer Friendly Version 

For the cream cheese layer: 
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp half n half
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the carrot layer: 
  • 1 1/2 cups carrot juice
  • 1/3 cup half n half
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, brown sugar, half n half and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat until creamy and all ingredients are well incorporated. Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a piping bag or a Ziploc bag. Snip off the corner and pipe the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of your popsicle molds, dividing the mixture evenly. Gently tap the molds onto the counter to remove any air bubbles and to help spread the mixture into the corners. Freeze for 30 minutes or until mixture has firmed up.

Meanwhile, make the carrot juice layer. In a sauce pot, combine the carrot juice, half n half, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat, add the vanilla and stir. Transfer the mixture to a 2 cup measuring cup and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator til well chilled. 

Once the cream cheese mixture has firmed up in the pop molds, carefully pour the chilled carrot mixture over the cream cheese layer, dividing the mixture evenly. Insert sticks or handles for your pops and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours. 

Makes 8-10 popsicles 



12 comments:

Unknown said...

These look and sound so good!!! I really need one.

tamilyn said...

I love wine slushies and I love popsicles.....hmmmm.

And your baby is so stinking cute I might die!a

Mal said...

This is a fabulous idea, they look amazing!

Have a lovely weekend

Mal @ The Chic Geek

From the Kitchen said...

I'll just take mine over ice! That is such a cute photo. You've got your work cut out for you!!

Best,
Bonnie

Paloma said...

Oh My Goodness Monica! These look sooo delicious... but of course Hayden stole the show! ;)

:)

Such a big boy!

Jan said...

I need some popsicle molds fast -yum! Carrot cake is one of my favorites. But not before chocolate! Ha!Ha!
I see your little cutie is learning new tricks!

Heather at Kitchen Concoctions said...

OMM! (Oh my Monica!) These look insanely good! Who knew I could have carrot cake in popsicle form!?! PS Where did you get your popsicle mold? I have yet to find a good mold at the store and usually just use small cups and popsicle sticks.

Gracey said...

This looks interesting...in a good way though!

Kerstin said...

What a great idea Monica! The cream cheese and then carrot layers sound so perfect together.

Sweet Morris said...

I would have never thought to make carrot pops. They sound good.

Jill said...

Monica this popsicle looks yummy!

Angie B said...

OMG, thank you so much for this recipe! We have food allergies and I'm always looking for recipes I can adapt. I refuse to buy popsicles at the store with all of their artificial colors and stuff. I made these (without the frosting layer) I substituted canned coconut milk for the half and half, I cut the amount of brown sugar in half and added a couple of stevia packets. We all love them! I will try to make a batch with just stevia next time. These are awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails